2016 O.L.P.H. Distinguished Graduate – Olga Garcia
For the fourth year, OLPH School students competed in the Junior High Academic Decathlon hosted by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The team consisted of 17 students from 6th, 7th and 8th grade. The team studied hard for the ten events: two team tests, logic and super quiz, and eight individual tests, social studies, math, science, fine arts, current events, religion, English and literature. The school team competed against 100 other school.The OLPH team did a great job this year. They received four individual medals (Elizabeth Pelayo: 9th Place English, Kristen Lago: 7th Place Math, Ivan Calderon: 6th Place Religion, Melissa Covarrubias: 2nd Place Literature) and won First Place in deanery 17. The entire school community is extremely proud!We’d like to Thank Academic Decathlon Moderator Miss Pilloni and her entire team of Coaches for a job well done. Congratulations! We are looking forward to next year!
60th Anniversary of Our Lady of Perpetual Help School
January 23-26, 2009
The Saturday mass at 5:00 p.m. on January 24th was celebrated by Bishop Alexander Salazar in the parish church. The Most Reverend Salazar was born in San Jose, Costa Rica. He attended St. Thomas the Apostle School, Daniel Murphy High School, East Los Angeles College, California State University Los Angeles, Immaculate Heart College, and St. John’s Seminary. Cardinal Timothy Manning ordained him a priest in 1984. He served as associate pastor for ten years at St. Teresa of Avila, Silverlake. He was elected Dean of Deanery 14. He has served on the Council of Priests, College of Consultors, Clergy Pension Board, and Archdiocesan Personnel Board. In 2003, he was appointed Vice Chancellor and served on the Archdiocesan Leadership Team. Cardinal Mahony ordained him a bishop on November 4, 2004 and appointed him Episcopal Vicar of the San Pedro Region which includes Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish.
Schedule of Events:
Friday, January 23, 2009
– 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. – Students attend mass.
– 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Career Day at Our Lady’s School.
– 7:00 p.m. – Evening Welcome Cocktail Reception (Classes of 1948 to 1988) at the Embassy Suites, Downey.
– 7:00 p.m. – Informal Social (Classes 1989 to 2008) at the Pineda Home in Downey. Cost approx. $10 per person.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
– All day – Individual Class reunions at Our Lady’s School. Classrooms will be open for tours for new students. Book Fair starts.
– 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – Saturday mass kicking off parish 100th anniversary in the church with Celebrant Bishop Salazar. Current students will act as lectors, ushers, altar servers and student speaker. 2009 Distinguished Graduate will be recognized.
– Alumni Class Socials in the evening.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
– 9:30 a.m. mass – We invite all married couples celebrating any anniversary ending in 0 or 5 to come and renew your vows as we celebrate World Marriage Day. There will be a reception for all participants in the Carey Center after the mass.
– 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Parade of classes, class presentations, awards, tours of the school and convent, social time, food and beverage at Our Lady’s school. Awards consist of commemorating Sister of Notre Dame for years of service to OLPH, recognition of all OLPH Distinguished Graduates of the Year, Kick Ball Award.
Monday, January 26, 2009
– There will be a book fair Monday, January 26 through Friday, January 30 at the school; Tuesday is Community Day, Wednesday is Student Appreciation Day, Thursday is Family Day, and Friday is Teacher Appreciation Day & Mass.
60th Anniversary Committee Members
Steffani McMains – Principal
Diane Davis – Development
Hector Perez – Parish Development
Ron Zurek – Class of 1966, Webmaster of Alumni Web Site
Gene St. Hilaire – Class of 1968
Ruth Augimeri – Class of 1971
Kathi Dominici – Class of 1971
Laura Freedman – Class of 1971
Chris French – Class of 1971
Pamela Jones – Class of 1984
Lisa Larres – Class of 1987
Jon Cousimano – Class of 2004
Yolee Casagrande – Alumni Parent Class of 2007
Silvia Castro – Current Parent/Alumni Parent ’07
Damian Zavala – Current Parent